The American College of Sports Medicine recommends that we exercise regularly to achieve health in 4 distinct areas:
- Heart health
- Neuromotor (balance, agility, and coordination)
Here is how to achieve these goals:
1. Heart health
- Moderate-intensity aerobic exercise for at least 30 minutes per day, 5 days per week, or
- Vigorous-intensity aerobic exercise for at least 20 minutes per day, 3 days per week.
2. Strength and neuromotor
- Resistance training for each of the major muscle groups, and neuromotor exercises involving balance, agility, and coordination 2-3 days per week.
- Stretching the major muscle-tendon groups for 60 seconds each, 2 days per week.
Learn more at: American College of Sports Medicine
Carl Lowe, Jr., MD